The Hudsonian’s transfer guide

Julio Rodriguez

GRAPHIC BY JULIO RODRIGUEZ | The Hudsonian Student Newspaper

The following undergraduate institutions hold articulation agreements with Hudson Valley that can be reviewed online or at The Center for Careers and Transfer.

Transferring to another institution can be filled with grief, frustration and confusion. However, those feelings can be avoided if you establish and follow a well-constructed plan. Consider this a go-to guide that aims to help students who plan to eventually transfer after Hudson Valley.

Apply to a number of schools

It’s important that you are applying to a number of schools to ensure that you have enough options upon making your decision.

Two to three reach schools: These schools are hard to get into as a first-year and as a transfer. These schools accept a small number of transfer students, but you consider these your “dream schools.”

You may or may not meet the requirements for admission to these schools. Colleges will claim that their admissions requirements are “holistic” in nature. This means that they take the applicants entire profile into consideration when making their decision.

So, there’s always the chance you just might “wow” admissions offices at your reach schools with factors unrelated to GPA or test scores.

It’s also important to remember that the importance of high school grades decreases the longer you’ve been out of high school.

Two to three target schools: You likely meet or even exceed the requirements for transfer admission to these schools.

Two or three safety schools: You are very confident you’ll gain admission to said schools. They serve as safeties in the event that you’re not accepted to your target schools.

Remember, don’t waste your time or money applying to schools you don’t want to attend.

Take a look at Hudson Valley articulation agreements

A number of undergraduate institutions in and out of NY allow for students to transfer seamlessly to their four-year programs.

The full articulation agreements can found at the Career and Transfer Office in the Siek Campus Center at CTR 290 or by visiting

Utilize the SUNY application

The SUNY Transfer Student Fee Waivers: Fees for seven (7) campus choices will automatically be waived for transfer students graduating with an associate degree from a SUNY or CUNY two-year college and who apply directly to State University four-year campuses for baccalaureate programs.

I was shocked to learn how easy the process is to apply directly from a SUNY two-year to a SUNY four year. SUNY AA or AS graduates transferring to a SUNY four-year campus can even qualify for “guaranteed admission.”

According to, transfer students are obligated to meet only those admissions requirements to institutions or to a particular program applicable to continuing and returning students.

The applications ask basic questions about your address, high school attended, two-year school and other personal information.

Shockingly enough, the application does not require any recommendations, essays or any sort of college report. The college report is a required part of the transfer application by many predicate schools. We’ll discuss the college report later on.

Requesting transcripts

A college transcript from every undergraduate institution attended since high school graduation is usually required of all students applying to another college.

An official copy should be requested online on Wired. After the request is made, the transcript is sent from Hudson Valley and the college can compile the information to make a decision.

The arduous and comprehensive private school application, The Common App.

Private colleges and universities will usually require much more of their applicants. You can expect to compile an application on the Common App.

The Common App gives transfer students the opportunity to apply directly to their choice of over 700 colleges and universities around the world with one application.

The application is much more comprehensive than the SUNY application. Essentially, The Common App requires questions about every aspect of your academic life thus far.

Recommendations play a vital role

The academic evaluations and recommendations that accompany your common app are a vital part of the application. Typically, schools will ask that the recommendations come from a college professor with whom you’ve taken a course or series of courses.

An academic evaluator will answer a series of questions related to your academic abilities, intellectual promise, initiative and other characteristics compared to that of your peers.
The professor have the opportunity to write about your character, work ethic and performance in and out of the classroom.

Asking a professor you’ve had a connection with would be in your favor since they’re writing about your capabilities. It also helps to ask a professor that’s taught within the major you’re planning on applying to at your four-year institutions.

Colleges and universities will usually provide guidelines, but generally they require at least one or two recommendations.

FAFSA and CSS Profile

These financial information forms should be submitted online after you’ve applied to each school. Colleges will usually have prescribed due dates shortly after the application is due.
The FAFSA is a part of the U.S. Department of Education. It is the largest provider of student financial aid in the nation.

At the office of Federal Student Aid, their are more than 1,300 employees to help make college education possible for every dedicated mind by providing more than $120 billion in federal grants, loans and work-study funds each year to more than 13 million students paying for college or career school.

The application can be found online and can be completed and submitted directly to each institution.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: